Honey and Herb Roasted Root Vegetables
To make this more of a main dish, add prosciutto or crumbled bacon. For non-meat eaters, toss with shredded Gruyere or dollops of goat cheese or feta.
- ¾ pound carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- ¾ pound celery root, peeled and cubed
- ¾ pound parsnips, peeled and sliced diagonally
- ¾ pound baby potatoes, scrubbed and halved if large
- ¾ pound turnips, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Red Belly Honey
- 2 teaspoons flaky salt, preferably Maldon
Heat oven to 425 F and heat 2 sheet pans. Combine carrots, celery root, parsnips, potatoes and turnips in a large bowl; toss with olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper. Spread evenly onto heated sheet pans in a single layer. Roast until lightly browned and fork tender, 35 to 40 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and toss with vinegar, honey and flaky salt. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
If making 1 or 2 days in advance, roast for 25 to 30 minutes until almost fork tender, cool and refrigerate. Reheat at the same temperature for remaining time on a sheet tray and then toss with vinegar, honey and flaky salt.
Adapted from a recipe by Sebastian Carosi, which originally appeared in Kitchen Toke magazine.
Photography by Eva Kolenko
Food Styling by Adam Pearson
Prop Styling by Jennifer Barguiarena