Grapefruit Kale & Avocado Salad
Packed with nutrients and refreshing citrus, this is a pretty salad for lunch or dinner that’s fast to make. Top with toasted pepitas for crunch.
- 1 yellow or ruby ripe grapefruit, peeled
- 2 firm but ripe avocados, peeled, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons jerez sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Red Belly Honey
- 3 tablespoons tarragon, freshly chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups baby kale or other dark leafy greens, rinsed
- ¼ cup toasted pepitas
Quarter the grapefruit and cut into ¼-inch slices and set aside. Slice the avocado into ¼” slices and set aside.To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, honey and tarragon. Gradually add the olive oil, whisking to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place the kale in a large mixing bowl and add half of the vinaigrette; toss to combine. Arrange the salad on a platter and top with the grapefruit and avocados. Drizzle the remaining dressing and sprinkle with the pepitas.
Recipe courtesy of Val Aikman-Smith
Photography by Eva Kolenko
Food styling by Emily Caneer
Prop styling by Natasha Kolenko